Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving

I hope you all had a great Turkey Day and subsequent Black Friday.  I am heading off to work at 3 pm for 10 hours of dealing with Black Friday shoppers....wish me luck!

A quick post though before I go about my Thanksgiving Day success and failures.
 I went into the day determined not to fall prey to the continuous snacking/eating that goes on.  I managed quite well because I ate a proper breakfast.  Scrambled egg whites (2 eggs) with a tbsp of ketchup and two pieces of wheat bread.  This meal comes to a whopping 140 calories with only 2 grams of fat (from the bread).  I drink it with a full glass of water and I'm good to go all morning.  I ate a whole wheat bagel for lunch with nothing on it.  This unfortunately comes to about 240 for me, but there is a fairly wide range in the amount of calories these bagels can have.  It only added another 2 grams of fat, making my totals for the day 380 calories and 4 grams of fat.  My ideal limits are 1200 calories and 25 grams of fat.  

This left me with 820 calories and 21 grams of fat to eat dinner and dessert with.  I decided that as long as I kept my portions close to size, I would do ok and I wouldn't worry about the calorie intake of dinner.  One slice of turkey, a spoonful of mashed potatoes, stuffing, carrots and green beans each and I had relatively filled my plate and made it quite colorful, as many nutritionists suggest.  And my full glass of water.  Success.  I ate slowly and although most people were done eating by the time I was halfway through, I felt completely full by the time I was done eating.

My failure came with dessert.  So many different desserts, but I didn't like a single one.  I thought I was safe...until, my aunt, wonderful woman that she is, realized I wasn't eating and pulled out her jar of cookies and some homemade vanilla ice cream.  Let me just say, my aunt makes the most DELICIOUS chocolate chip cookies on this planet.  I could eat them all day long, so imagine my inner turmoil for a moment.  I haven't had her cookies in over a year...and I caved.  Two cookies and a half a cup of ice cream wasn't enough.  I had two more cookies before the night was over.  

Each day is a battle...and although I lost yesterday, I'm determined to do better today.  I have set out my goals, planned out my meals and exercise times for the next week.  I find that when I set out my schedule in advance, I usually stick to it and it makes resisting the sweet treats and snacking much easier.

Good Luck!

Inspiration photo:


AND

SO, SO TRUE

Also, check out this site:  All Women Stalk
http://allwomenstalk.com/

Has lots of advice for weightloss and a ton of stuff just for women!

2 comments:

  1. don't be so hard on yourself, chica! One day is like a grain of sand in a whole beach-full of days. get right back on the horse today and don't beat yourself up over a couple of (yummy, delicious, homemade) cookies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much Alyssa. You said that very well and it's something that I will definitely keep in mind. I am back on that horse and going steady again!

    ReplyDelete