Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Why Does the Treadmill Defeat Me?

So I have a story and a question for everybody this morning concerning the topic of cardio machines.  This is part of the reason why I've been so obsessed with them the past couple of days, and hopefully it will bring me some closure on the issue.

I really dislike the treadmill for running.  Walking, no problem.  But when I get on there and start running, I am panting and dying within minutes.  It makes me feel like I have absolutely no endurance.  On the opposite side, I love the elliptical (lets count how many times I've said that already).  I usually stay on it anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour.  I break a heavy sweat about 20 minutes in, but my breathing is not as severely effected and obviously, I can last much longer than I do on the treadmill.

It's a bit frustrating for me because I used to run winter and spring track in high school, and I would love to incorporate running into my work outs again, but I just dislike the effects of the treadmill and I've stuck to walking on an incline instead.

Based on my muscle post from yesterday, I'm going to guess that maybe the elliptical seems easier because all of the muscles are equally active, allowing all of them to share the burden of the work out.  I guess this might also be the reason I can last so long on the machine too.  I did a minor search online to see if I could find an answer, but no luck so far.

That's all for today.  Let me know what your opinion is!  Do you suffer the same effects I do?  Or do you know the answer to why I find the elliptical so much easier?  Thanks!

Inspiration photo:

No comments:

Post a Comment