Monday, January 16, 2012

Blogs That Worry Me

I think I'm about to touch on a sensitive topic here, but as I search for inspiration photos, I commonly stumble across blogs that worry me.

Blogs that that worry me commonly fall under the following categories:

Ones that give advice on how to not eat and how to hide the fact that you're not eating from your friends and family - I have to say, this was one of the most absolutely upsetting things I've seen so far.  There are so many amazing blogs out there, but I happened across a popular one where the author received so many questions from girls seeking advice.  I only wish that she was using the popularity and attention to promote healthy weight loss.  One of her pieces of advice was to a 13 year old girl who wanted to know how to hide the fact that she didn't want to go out with her friends because she didn't want to eat pizza.  First of all, one piece of pizza will not make or break your diet.  Second of all, if you don't want to eat pizza, tell your friends and order a salad, or eat before and just go to be social, or tell your friends and suggest a healthier option, or invite all of them over and cook a healthy meal together.  This blogger told her to fake indigestion, or to order a slice, cut it up to make it look eaten, but only eat a few bites.

Ones that idolize girls who are rail thin - Some girls are naturally rail thin, but if this is not your natural body type, I don't believe that you should be striving to look like this because you will most likely have to resort to unhealthy means to achieve the look you want.  I try to post inspiration photos of strong, lean, more muscular women because I think that this is the image we should strive for.  I avoid pictures of girls with protruding spines, ribs and hip bones because, as gorgeous as they are, and even if that is their natural body type, it is not mine and I should not idolize a body type that I can never be.

Ones that encourage unhealthy ways to lose weight - These are the blogs that encourage girls to eat one meal a day and then drink water for the rest of their meals.  There are other healthy ways to lose the weight, and ways that do not harm your body in the process.

I think the thing that bothers me the most about the blogs I've seen that fall into the categories above, is the fact that they all had so many followers.  I just hope that the girls who feel like there is no other option will eventually realize that healthy weight loss is a possible option for everyone.


Thanks for reading and listening.  If anybody has suggestions for things I can do to promote awareness about healthy weight loss, I'd love to hear them!

Also, my poll!  Think about it, take it and I would absolutely love to know the reasons why you love your body.  If you're not shy, definitely share them!  If you chose to answer no, I'd still really like to know why you chose that answer, and if there is anything I can do to help change that answer.  Send me an email if you don't feel comfortable sharing with everybody.

And lastly, a post about my meals and eating habits will be coming soon.  As I was writing it, I realized I wanted to more time and consideration with it.  So look for that post in the next few days.

Have a great day everyone!!

Photo Inspirations:
campushealthylife:

I Want This Body! on We Heart It. http://weheartit.com/entry/15176226

love love LOVE those shorts





Disclaimer: None of the above photos are of me, they are merely on my blog to serve as fitness inspiration and are taken from various different internet sources.

5 comments:

  1. "I avoid pictures of girls with protruding spines, ribs and hip bones because, as gorgeous as they are"

    Do you really believe that protruding skeletal structures lend to a gorgeous figure? I believe that very few women have this figure naturally, and if they do they are not eating nearly enough. In this post you address concerns about women who may have skewed perceptions of what is healthy and beautiful - I wonder if you are struggling a bit with this as well? What are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not at all! Just because a woman may have a skeletal figure, does not make her any less beautiful than a woman who has curves, and vice versa. There should be no set expectations for what is healthy and beautiful because I think that also leads to skewed perceptions about what our bodies should look like. I am striving to be the healthiest and fittest person that I am capable of being.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And after the fact I do realize that I am slightly contradicting myself, since I mentioned the more muscular, lean and strong bodies should be the ones we strive for (i.e. my inspiration photos) but if it is possible, I believe in both things that I have said. A stronger body is what we should aim for, not a skeletal one, and at the same time, we should try to not have set expectations for what is healthy and beautiful, because the end result is going to be different for everybody. There, I think I got it right this time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emma I agree...I have a friend who falls into this category and she eats more than her fair share of food and its impossible for her to put weight on. I think calling them gorgeous is absolutely correct as most models are. As are plus sized models and we call them gorgeous too. Gorgeous doesn't have to mean your weight. You can be gorgeous at any size if you are healthy. Obviously some people are naturally that thin and no one has the right to say they are unattractive because they are too skinny, its just as insulting as saying someone is unattractive because they are too big yet people have no problem doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emma, thank you for clarifying. I do also believe that having any set expectations is what can create unreasonable goals.

    I also agree with the other anonymous that some people really cannot put weight on. That being said, there is a difference between naturally skinny and chronically underfed. Yes, some people have naturally "protruding" bones, but I think there is a clear problem when a person is truly "skeletal". You would probably find some of these on the blogs you mentioned, which at one point in my life, I probably followed.

    Thanks for the discussion, I enjoy these topics and love your blog. One day perhaps I will have the time to put as much effort into mine.
    And I think that it is not fair for me to post anonymously. So I won't this time :)

    ReplyDelete