Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Daily Eating Habits: The Balancing Act

I wanted to take a lot of time with this post because I wanted to offer explanations for some of my food choices and my thoughts on eating.  Writing it out took time because I have never put this into words in any form, so I wanted to make sure it made sense and was informative at the same time.  I'm not sure I actually succeeded though, so you'll just have to bear with me.



The question: "Can you describe some of your regular meals?"


First of all, here are some of the characteristics of my eating habits: 


I eat 5 times throughout the day.  


I only drink water (on occasion I will indulge in some caffeine free diet pepsi).  


I don't eat fast food and I try to avoid foods with excessive amounts of fat, all candy (i.e. skittles were my weakness before I started eating healthy), and chocolate. 


I am a picky eater, so it's difficult for me to find foods that are healthy that I also like.  This means that I have to be extremely conscious of portion sizes for some of the foods I eat.   


I stopped buying my lunch at 7-11 and started getting up 10 minutes earlier so that I could put together all my meals for the entire day.


One of the biggest things I did was add more fruit and vegetables to my diet because they were basically non-existent before.  I eat one or two apples, and carrots and celery, every day.  Clementines, oranges, bananas and strawberries are some other fruits that I eat, and I can't wait for melon season!!!  I will definitely be eating cantaloupe as often as I can.  It has the added benefit of being one of the best fruits for you to eat.


I traded white bread for wheat bread.  I eat Pepperidge Farm Light Style Soft Wheat.  The benefits of the Light Style Breads (there are 4 from Pepperidge Farm) are that they are 45 calories per slice, so 1 serving is actually 3 slices.  There is 1g of fat and no saturated or trans-fat, and 4g of fiber.  I usually eat 4 slices of this bread every day in sandwich form and as toast.


I added eggs to my diet.  


Grilled chicken is great!  Add it to salads, or eat with sides corn and rice, vegetables.  It's one of my favorite foods.


Salads are made up of fresh lettuce, carrots, cucumber, tomato, and a small amount of oil and vinegar goes a long way and is the healthiest thing that you can put on your salad


Whole Wheat Pasta - this took some getting used to because I feel like it has a different texture than regular pasta (this could just be a mental thing on my part), with a bit of tomato sauce and no cheeses...which leads me to:


Don't add the extras, like butter and cheese


I focus on eating when I'm eating.  I take smaller bites and chew everything slowly.   


Leftovers are awesome.


Always remember portion control.


Look up the foods that you eat.  The nutrition facts are usually readily available on the internet, as well as on the food's packaging.


Eating healthy is a balancing act.  You just have to stay in control and everything will work out.




Here's an example of my eating schedule for a day when I work from 8 am until 12 am:


7 am: Apple  =  about 80 calories, 5 g of fiber


9 am: Rice Krispies (1 1/4 cup is one serving) with a small amount of 1% milk and banana - most people add way too much milk to their cereal   =  about 320 calories, 2.5 g of fat, 11.5 g of protein, 3 g of fiber


12 pm: 1 scrambled egg with 1% milk and 2 pieces of toast with a bit of ketchup - I've given up on egg whites, all of the nutritional value comes from the yolk and the difference in calorie amounts does not make a significant difference in my diet  =  about 300 calories, 10 g of fat, 10 g of protein, 3 g of fiber


4 pm:  Sandwich made of 2 slices of bread, 2 deli slices of turkey, lettuce and a small amount of light mayo (less than a serving size) with a dill pickle (a medium sized one is under 10 calories and they are wonderful!) and an apple  =  270 calories, 5 g of fat, 12.5 g of protein, 8 g of fiber


7 pm: carrots and celery - I probably eat double the serving amounts  =  100 calories, 2.5 g of protein, 4.5 g of fiber


**Btw, if anybody is about to jump on me for my calorie intake, I actually didn't know the number until just now when I figured it out.  I think more about balancing what I eat, not the amount of calories.  I just added them for your benefit.  This is also just one example, and I'm sure there are days when the number is higher.


On days when I can actually eat dinner at home (usually 3 nights out of the week), I end up having a snack around 4 pm and eating dinner at 6 pm.  I commonly will eat grilled chicken, salads, or pasta of some kind at 
home.  


Here's a link to a site that will give you an idea of what your daily nutrient intake should be: http://www.netrition.com/rdi_page.html 


Here are some meal/food images to check out:


This is about what your plate should look like.



Sorry, this is a bit on the small side.
juliebulie131:

trying to make it a habit to eat smaller portions throughout the day.. difficult when you’re in school but… gotta find a way.


Eggs are awesome.



Pinned Image


Some foods I would like to incorporate into my diet, but haven't because of my picky taste buds:
yogurt - I've tried it a handful of times and I just can't seem to enjoy it at all.  I'll take recommendations and suggestions for alternatives or different ways to eat it!
tea - again, it's a taste issue
almonds
peas
peppers - learning to like these when they've been cooked a certain way
oatmeal - ugh


I know that I'm probably forgetting so much that I wanted to add, so an additional post may follow.  If I confused you or if you have any questions feel free to ask!
Also check out my newest additions to my Life's Soundtrack page :)




Why do I eat healthy and exercise?  So that maybe I can one day be a Photo Inspiration for someone else:


theskinnychronicles:

So hot!

Today is weightlifting day! I get to crush iron with the boys. 





behealthybefit:

beccasfitlife:

Yes.

beyond yes. get it girlllll.






Disclaimer: None of the above photos are of me, they are merely on my blog to serve as fitness inspiration and are taken from various different internet sources.

5 comments:

  1. Some yogurt advice... I used to hate Greek Yogurt, but I started eating a cup of plain, non-fat Chobani yogurt (0 fat, 100 calories, about 35% DV of protein) with some Kashi crunch cereal mixed in (200 calories for 1 cup, 9g protein, tons of fiber, tons of whole grain). Once I got used to the taste I loved it, and it's super filling and a great source of protein. You can also try mixing any type of fruit in- raisins, raspberries, grapes, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chop up a whole banana and add it to a cup of plain low fat yogurt...honestly, I barely taste the yogurt. Sooo good for your digestive system too - yogurt has GREAT probiotics in it (if you get the right kind), so it's a good thing to eat to keep your body healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all of this great info! Do you still crave Skittles? That's the hardest part for me when I try to eat healthy and I wonder if the cravings will ever stop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the yogurt advice!
    I can tell you that so far the cravings have not stopped, but I don't experience them as often as I used to. I do that mostly by avoiding instances where I would be tempted by certain foods and making sure that my kitchen is well stocked with good snacks, such as apples and carrots and celery. I just avoid candy sections in stores and I forced myself to stop buying candy in my work break room by emptying all the change and single dollars from my wallet before I went to work. Cutting out Coca-cola was the absolute hardest thing I did though, but I did it and I'm still amazed every time I make the healthier choice.
    It's definitely a mental challenge, but one that gets easier as time goes on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's good to hear :)

      Delete