Monday, January 23, 2012

Healing the Whole

On my About Me page, I talked about healing my whole self and the reasons why I want and need to do this.  I think that the body, mind and soul are all connected, and  in order to become healthier, I need to work on all three, not just one.  Already I have seen the effects as I've worked to make my body healthier.  In certain ways, that has also gone a ways towards healing my mind and soul.  I have also focused a bit on these other two, but it is not as straightforward as obtaining a fit body, and a more positive body-image.

Reading and music has helped my mind, but I am still trying to seek new ways to do this.  Unfortunately, with a limited amount of time on my hands, this is proving a bit difficult.  I am also still struggling to find peace within myself, and to just accept certain aspects of myself and my life.  Embracing who I am is a goal I am working towards.

This image below inspired my post for today and led me to look into information about the Whole person.

It’s great to remember to keep balance in your life.
The image comes from the Vanderbilt Center for Integrative Health website.  I did not take any information from the site, I found the image and was curious about where it came from.  

I think the diagram shows that every part of our lives is interconnected and to heal the whole, we must take care of all of those aspects.  Using this really showed me the areas where I have a secure focus, such as Movement and Exercise, Nutrition, and Health Behavior, and areas that I have neglected, such as Relationships, Emotional Health and Life Meaning and Purpose.  I think this week I'm going to take some time to think about each of these things and what I can do to move forward in these areas.  I know that it will probably take time, but at least having goals, and an idea of what I need to do is better than having nothing.

One term and definition I came across was 'mental wellness'.  It's defined as a way of life that integrates the mind, body and spirit with the goal of living life more fully.  If you're interested in learning more about this, the author of this blog broke things down very nicely:  http://anxietypanichealth.com/2008/10/27/what-is-mental-wellness-living-with-health-wellness-and-wholeness/


Pinned Image

Give some thought this week to what areas of your life might need a little more attention!  Have a wonderful day!



Photo Inspirations:




2 comments:

  1. Dear Big,
    I like this post. Especially the abcs of happiness. It's one of my favorite things I've found on pintrest since it's soo true.
    Love,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison :) I've been wanting to use that picture for a while because I think it is such great advice to follow.

      Delete