Thursday, January 12, 2012

My Motivation

How to stay motivated...What I've written down here are all the things that constantly motivate me to stick to my lifestyle and stay healthy and fit.

Surround yourself with fitness.  Read articles, blogs, magazines, look at pictures.  Take a class.  Aim to become a fitness expert for yourself.  The more you know, the easier it is to stay motivated, focused and to make the right choices for yourself.

Buy gym clothes you feel good in.  I wear a simple v-neck t-shirt and black leggings.  It's very comfortable clothing and they are also cut to flatter.  Since there are a ton of mirrors at my gym, I usually check myself out at some point :)  But, feeling good in what you wear to the gym will create a positive association with it.

Think about your weekly weigh-in.  It was a major motivation for me at first.  I wanted to see results, but since I was only weighing myself once a week I realized that everything I did for the entire week would effect the number that I saw on Sunday, so it kept me focused.

Keep a record, or journal of some kind.  This blog is a huge deal to me and keeps me focused on fitness.  It also is my way of holding myself accountable.  I didn't want to embarrass myself initially by not successfully losing anything, so I worked hard so that I hard good results to share.  I also keep a personal journal as a place to write down anything that is not meant for the public eye, and for pretty much anything in general, notes, etc.

Talk to someone or multiple someones about fitness.  Anybody who will listen to you and more importantly, support you and encourage you.  Even better, find a fitness buddy.  My support comes from my mother, who told me just today that she thinks my butt looks smaller.  I got to tell her that I lose 2" from my waistline!!  I just wish that she would join me in getting fit.

Realize that losing weight will take time and that you will have set backs.  The sooner you accept this, the smoother things will go.  Nobody is perfect, and this process is a battle.  Just remember, you can win this in time.

Think about the future.  I want to be completely healthy as I get older.  I don't want to have to deal with medical conditions that result from living an unhealthy lifestyle.  In my mind, the healthier I am now is helping me fend the chance of major health complications later in life.  I've already had issues to deal with and I don't want anything to hold me back as I move forward.

Think positively.  You might notice that I usually end my posts with slightly obnoxious notes like: "Have a GREAT day!!!"  Obnoxious they might be, but it helps me to stay positive and upbeat in general.  One of the best lessons I learned in college was this: "Act your way into a new way of thinking."  My professor was talking about being a teacher at the time, but I thought that it definitely applied here.  I acted my way into a more positive daily mindset until it became my reality.  Staying positive throughout this process will make staying focused easier.

I hope that you might find this information useful!

Photo Inspirations:
I MISS THIS





Pinned Image

No comments:

Post a Comment