Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Thigh Gap

The thigh gap...I recently read an article online that said that one of the markers of a "skinny girl" is a thigh gap and that girls are going to unhealthy lengths to achieve this goal.  Thinking back on conversations I've had with girlfriends, and other health&fitness blogs I've perused, I have no doubt that this is true.

To be honest, the thigh gap looks a little weird to me.  There is a point where young women start to develop, meaning their curves start to fill out more, which is a natural process that shouldn't be tampered with.  I had a small thigh gap when I started college, and a flat stomach and I was an A cup.  By the time I had graduated college, I had hips and a butt, the curve to the belly and I was a B cup.  And no more thigh gap.  (My apologies to those of you who consider this to be TMI, I'm just trying to paint an accurate picture here.)  I won't say I consistently worked out, because I didn't, but the change my body had gone through was not unusual for my age and it wasn't because I didn't exercise.  It was only after college that I gained the weight that I started this blog to help me lose.

So back to the thigh gap...why is this something girls strive for?  The thigh gap is completely dependent on genetics, bone structure primarily, how wide your hips are, the length of your legs, and one person who commented on the article that sparked my post today actually mentioned that people used to call girls like this, "bow-legged" which, I don't think I would totally disagree with.  The thigh gap is natural to some, and for others, it will never happen, so it should not be a weight loss goal.  Ever.  If you had one, and it vanished as you got older, it was a natural part of your body's development.  No one should ever starve themselves to get such a silly thing back.

In the end, my advice is this...make your goals obtainable for your body.  Recognize and embrace your body type, and your body shape.  It's a part of who you are, and everybody is different.  

Take a look at this image....I'm going to speculate and say, if we presented this picture to men and women, the men would choose the image on the right, and the women would choose the picture on the left.  Anyone have thoughts or opinions on this?

http://media-cache-ak1.pinimg.com/originals/fa/6b/7f/fa6b7f5044d34749a857bd376f197652.jpg


Check out this opinion article: http://www.chicagonow.com/get-fit-chicago/2013/03/thigh-gap-body-ideal/


http://runliveloveyourself.tumblr.com/page/3

Disclaimer: None of the above photos are of me, and I do not take credit for them, they are merely on my blog to serve as fitness inspiration and are taken from various different internet sources.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, well written. I am a guy and I like well trained legs on girls, but certainly not the skinny type.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a guy and you I do like toned overall. Thigh gap....well I have always loved the gap, small gap as seen on the right. Ones like that pictured on the left just look unhealthy. No gap...so what. Does she eat well and active. Great...to much focus on the outside...not enough on what is in the head or the heart.

    ReplyDelete